A classic chocolate torte is something that everyone should have in their repertoire, especially if they entertain often.
This one, made with rum, is rich and fudgey, a perfect dessert if there ever was one. I like to serve it with cold whipped cream and strawberries to keep it light, but if you’re all for indulgence, top it with ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate ganache.
Yield: 1 torte
Why I love this recipe: a minute amount of flour + airy egg whites contribute to the fudgey texture of this torte, and a combination of melted, bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder creates an unforgettably rich chocolate flavor, while rum adds just a bit of boozy decadence.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon rum or bourbon
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- whipped cream
- cocoa powder
- Position rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round spring-form pan and line with parchment.
- In large bowl, combine chopped chocolate, cocoa, and 3/4 cup sugar. Add boiling water. Whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in yolks and rum. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites with cream of tartar in mixing bowl. Beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in rest of sugar; beat on high until stiff but not dry. Whisk flour into mixture. Fold about 1/4 of egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in remaining egg whites. Scrape batter into prepared pan; level the top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool in pan, on a rack. The cake will sink in the center. Slide a small knife around inside of pan to detach cake. Invert cake; remove pan and paper liner. Turn right side up on platter, or leave cake on pan bottom and place on platter. To serve, sieve on cocoa powder, top with whipped cream and strawberries.
One response to “Chocolate Rum Torte”
Looks so yummy!!